At Discover 2017 Las Vegas, HPE announced expanded capabilities for HPE Synergy and HPE OneView, plus availability of the HPE SimpliVity 380 hyperconverged appliance.
HPE Synergy is the first truly composable infrastructure, a new category of infrastructure designed to accelerate application delivery in both traditional and new cloud native and DevOps environments. With its software-defined, template-driven workload composition and fluid resource pools of disaggregated resources, HPE Synergy can provision workload-ready hosts in minutes to deploy and redeploy that same infrastructure at cloud speed and simplicity.
HPE introduced new composable advancements to increase performance, improve security and extend storage options for HPE Synergy, including:
- Faster storage provisioning – HPE Synergy customers will receive new software-defined storage capabilities that allow IT administrators to easily and quickly compose the industry’s most complete offering of composable storage choices, including SAN, DAS and software-defined storage using HPE Synergy Composer and HPE OneView templates.
- Improved security – HPE has revealed the world’s most secure industry standard servers with the introduction of its next-generation HPE ProLiant and HPE Synergy portfolio. HPE is the first vendor to put silicon-based security into its industry standard platforms, addressing firmware attacks, which are one of the biggest threats facing enterprises and governments today.
- Increased performance – New HPE Synergy 480 and 660 Gen10 compute modules deliver increased performance across compute- and data-intensive workloads, such as financial modeling. HPE Synergy also delivers breakthrough Ethernet 25/50Gb connectivity with 100Gb uplinks, and a 25% increase in direct-attached storage (DAS) capacity. HPE Synergy is the world’s faster virtualization server backed by its record-breaking VMmark 2.x benchmark result.
HPE OneView is the software-defined intelligence that automates complex tasks thus simplifying lifecycle operations, increasing speed of application delivery and enabling rapid DevOps for HPE Synergy and HPE infrastructure.
HPE introduced improved software-defined advancements and expanded partnerships for HPE OneView, including:
- Improved infrastructure automation – Expanded infrastructure management capabilities in HPE OneView deliver improved firmware management lowering costs for lifecycle operations, as well as extending support for a broad range of HPE compute platforms, including HPE Synergy, ProLiant BL, DL and ML, HPE Apollo and HPE Superdome X servers.
- Docker, HPE Synergy, and HPE Pointnext services are now available as a bundled offering from HPE and its channel partners. The combination delivers a modern, composable infrastructure that automatically provisions storage, compute and fabric resources needed to run Docker Enterprise Edition.
- Mesosphere integration with HPE Synergy allows IT and DevOps to automate deployment and streamline operations of Mesosphere Enterprise DC/OS on HPE infrastructure. Using the HPE OneView Unified API, customers can add capacity in minutes instead of hours. In addition, HPE and Mesosphere announced a strategic alliance, which will enable customers to more readily modernize their environments and operations using the cloud, containers and flash storage. The combined solution enables IT organizations to provide a public cloud experience to application development and big data teams within their existing data centers.
- HPE OneView integration with ServiceNow allows IT operators to detect problems and streamline troubleshooting for HPE infrastructure. Integration of HPE OneView with ServiceNow helps organizations improve IT service levels and more effectively manage incident responses by providing real-time information on the state of HPE OneView-managed infrastructure.
- Densify.com (formerly Cirba) integration automates provisioning and enables predictive capacity management for workloads requiring VM placement and sizing information. The integration allows intelligent workload placement using predictive analysis to optimize infrastructure composition in alignment with application demands.
- Red Hat OpenShift in conjunction with Ansible/HPE OneView integration enables application development teams to deliver applications on bare-metal faster. This combination allow users to automate provisioning of Container as a Service using Red Hat OpenShift. Users can also take advantage of Ansible integration, which allows simplified hardware lifecycle management and operations with the flexibility to add new compute resources in minutes.
HPE OneView unites the power of software defined intelligence with the flexibility of industry standards. HPE plans to develop a Redfish toolkit for HPE OneView that allows customers to take automations that use the Redfish specification and apply them to HPE OneView managed infrastructure without needing to do extensive scripting. This will let customers combine the power of HPE OneView templates to compose compute, storage and fabric with the flexibility of industry standards. Additionally, HPE OneView has started to leverage Redfish to control compute resources, and has plans to extend this in future releases.
New capabilities with Cisco ACI
With a new HPE OneView scripting tool, tasks required to properly configure an HPE Synergy or HPE BladeSystem within a Cisco ACI network are simplified or eliminated, reducing the chances for errors, misconfigured network connections or security policies.
The new generation of HPE Synergy Compute Modules and HPE OneView will be available in the summer of 2017.
HPE SimpliVity is the new hyperconverged infrastructure that simplifies IT by combing all infrastructure and advanced data services for virtualized workloads into a pre-integrated solution built on the world’s best-selling server platform, the HPE Proliant DL380. Only HPE guarantees 90% data efficiency and an under a minute back up restore.
Less than four months after the acquisition close, HPE is building and shipping the HPE SimpliVity 380 hyperconverged appliance in the HPE factory.